I would like to use this venue for a moment and expose readers to one of the best, documented case studies involving a global data center environment embracing Data Center Information Management (DCIM) tools — Mentor Graphics.
I know what you are thinking, “This is bias.” Well, let me assure you, it is. But only to the extent of the outcome e.g. the selection of FieldView as Mentor Graphics’ IT power management system.
What’s not bias—the facts:
- They had to find an easier, more technology savvy solution for monitoring 24/7 data center facilities and other types of offices in 18 countries across four continents.
- Mentor Graphics’ former monitoring system was supported by only one particular operating system platform; it was very cumbersome to work with as well as slow and difficult to integrate with other DCIM tools.
- 140 new monitoring requirements were added to the list
- The new DCIM system was used to monitor 26,000 points within critical power and environmental systems in Mentor Graphics’ large data centers, smaller data communications rooms, and field offices in 18 countries across the U.S., Canada, Europe, Asia, and the Pacific Rim.
Competitive companies’ documentation stops at the size and scope of the project. Mentor Graphics’ case study goes beyond this by assessing the market while taking a look at:
- How the proof of concept gave Mentor Graphics the ability to run test solutions in parallel with the existing monitoring tool.
- Devices in which Mentor Graphics does not have direct control, and what to do about them.
- How the new flexibility and scalability has made it easier for them and other users, to more quickly respond to alerts, change configurations, and monitor systems on PCs, Macs, and Linux machines from anywhere in the world.
I invite you to take a look for yourself. View Mentor Graphics’ DCIM Case Study.
Please let me know your thoughts. Was it useful? How can we make these case studies better? What would you like to see us focus on? I look forward to your advice!
Subscribe Via Email
Subscribe in a Reader
Tag Cloudalert monitoring Branch Circuit Monitoring capacity planning case study cloud computing colocation consolidation dashboard data warehouses DCIM DOE energy efficiency Energy Star enterprise data center EPA FieldView news green data center heat map infrastructure monitoring operations performance tracking power management predictive modeling reliability Reports ROI tradeshows virtualization Web-based